our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

Share | 

bizarre weather in the UK

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostSubject: bizarre weather in the UK   Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:34 pm

britain was hit today by what is called a 'line squall' a narrow band of low pressure stretching the length of the country with its top footing up near the north pole.

needless to say we get very sudden nasty showers and numerous reports of small tornadoes popping up across the country causing minor mayhem.

Could not be better weath if we wanted it too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cyberlizard.co.uk
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: bizarre weather in the UK   Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:44 pm

We haven't had that here, but it's been incredibly warm, such wonderful Succah weather! I have noticed that it has been unseasonal and a lot of recored for temps have been tied or broken. I am still picking tomatoes in October!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
zaksmummy

PostSubject: Re: bizarre weather in the UK   Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Weather remains odd, its November and the means Bonfire night, we went to a bonfire tonight and Zak had no coat on, its that warm, something is really wrong with the weather.

Catrin xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vella

PostSubject: Re: bizarre weather in the UK   Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:34 pm

December starts summer for us, today it's going to be 30c which is quite warm. We had a horrendous summer last year and on January 26th our house nearly burned down. There was a bit of bush two streets from our house and the trees were just exploding and the hot red embers were raining down on our houses like heavy rain. We couldn't keep up with it. It was 40c, a hot wind, the electricity had gone, the water pressure was very low, and it was very, very scary. I had the animals locked inside because I had nowhere to take them and yet I didn't want to leave the house to burn either. And the horrible part about it....some "so and so"....lit the fires !!!! They reckon we're in for another bad fire season this year, so I'm going to talk to some friends who live further south from us, and see if they'll agree to take the animals and a trailer load of our stuff if the fires threaten again. Then I can come back and try and save the house. We've been in the house 10 years and this was the first time we've been really threatened, and I never would have believed it possible, but I'll be watching things very carefully every summer from now on. I know now, after our experience in January, that I could never just stand back and let a fire destroy my home....we've put too much hard work into it....I'd fight it till there was absolutely no hope. The back yard of a house 2 doors from us went up and the neighbours only just put that out before it got out of hand......I've seen these things on tv, but until you're in the middle of it, you don't understand just how horrendous it can be. Anyway, hopefully, it won't be as bad this year.

Vella. queen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zaksmummy

PostSubject: Re: bizarre weather in the UK   Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:54 pm

I've been told that in some places in Austrailia some people live in houses made from stone underground, is this true Vella?

Catrin xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vella

PostSubject: Re: bizarre weather in the UK   Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:45 pm

zaksmummy wrote:
I've been told that in some places in Austrailia some people live in houses made from stone underground, is this true Vella?

Catrin xx

Yes, oddly enough it is true, but only in very remote places in what we call the "outback". The "outback" is most of the isolated part of middle Australia, and one of the places in the "outback" has these types of homes.

Almost in the middle of the country, (if you look at a map) there's a place called.....Broken Hill. It's a city in the middle of nowhere basically and I'm told the temps there are horrendous. Broken Hills houses are basically normal above ground houses, but in areas near there, a place called, Cooper Peedy and a few other outback towns, they are underground mostly. It's a mining area, copper and opals etc....and many people live in "dug outs" which are whole houses built underground from the earth. They have proper bedrooms and lounges, and kitchens, just like any normal house. But they have the benefit of protection from the heat and insulation from the cold in winter because they are underground, which is a natural insulator. Apparently some of these homes are quite beautiful. And if you want a bigger house....lol....you just dig out a wall and make a new room. :scratch: I've never been in one, but I've seen them on tv, and they look fantastic, though I wouldn't like to live in the area, I hate the heat. My parents were married in Broken Hill and a brother who died before I was born is buried there and I've visited there to see where mum was married and to visit Kevins grave and the grave of my grandmother. The outback I believe, is the sort of place you love or hate, it's a rough place and breeds a special rough type of Ozzie.

I hope that answers your question.

Smiles, Vella queen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bizarre weather in the UK   

Back to top Go down

bizarre weather in the UK
Page 1 of 1