our father abraham
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

poor old book

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
cyberlizard

poor old book Empty
PostSubject: poor old book   poor old book EmptyTue Oct 23, 2007 1:56 pm

well i finally decided that my trusty new king james had had its day when the first set of bound pages were hanging off.

The front cover fell off years ago!

Now i have a shiny new bible (complete jewish bible) by Stern. I like it is is clearly printed, not full of references and footnotes, and not printed in two columns (never have figured out why bible publishers do that). And it has a very pretty cover.

but the best thing is that it has the Torah portions clearly labelled with readings for each day of the week.

What a happy bunny i am.

p.s. anybody need two strips of 512MB DDR2 sodimm (for laptops) - free to good home (will even post them)
Back to top Go down
http://www.cyberlizard.co.uk
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

poor old book Empty
PostSubject: Re: poor old book   poor old book EmptyTue Oct 23, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi Steve, so what did you do with your old bible?

And a word about Sterns bibles, they are produced very 'economically' if you KWIM. So be careful, I sure hope you got a hardcover, I don't know why they produce something so thick and something that will be used a lot ( or should be Wink ) with a soft cover, they never hold up. The hard covers are even worst.

A friend of mine did something that I think I shall do. Find an old book whose cover is really nice and sturdy, find a nice bible picture you like somewhere and paste it on, then spray with clear spray to protect and take off the Sterns cover and attach the new one. It holds up a lot better. Smile

You should also get Sterns Brit Chadasha Commentary, it is really useful if you aren't that Hebrew minded. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
cyberlizard

poor old book Empty
PostSubject: Re: poor old book   poor old book EmptyWed Oct 24, 2007 1:16 am

i got the hardcover version... (i still have my NKJV its just worst for wear -i do not think i will throw it away as it has lots of my notes in the margin built up over years).

i had heard before that the binding was not particularly good on them, but for what i cost me i am not too worried (<$15).

I got the commentary when i initially bought the new testament and must say i really like it, but would like it to have been bigger and more in depth. It would be nice to see organisations like first fruits of zion producing some good commentaries on the nt from a messianic perspective, particularly Galatians. I am sure you can no doubt find them on the net somewhere from different people, but i haven't so far.... but then again it is difficult to always no where to look!

Steve
Back to top Go down
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

poor old book Empty
PostSubject: Re: poor old book   poor old book EmptyThu Oct 25, 2007 4:10 pm

cyberlizard wrote:
i got the hardcover version... (i still have my NKJV its just worst for wear -i do not think i will throw it away as it has lots of my notes in the margin built up over years).

i had heard before that the binding was not particularly good on them, but for what i cost me i am not too worried (<$15).

I got the commentary when i initially bought the new testament and must say i really like it, but would like it to have been bigger and more in depth. It would be nice to see organisations like first fruits of zion producing some good commentaries on the nt from a messianic perspective, particularly Galatians. I am sure you can no doubt find them on the net somewhere from different people, but i haven't so far.... but then again it is difficult to always no where to look!

Steve
Please don't throw it away, never, even if not the notes. Sorry, but I have always been a protector of the word. I can't tell you how many bibles I've purchased at tag sales because I was afraid they would end up on the curb waiting for the garbage man! I have rescued many from there also. silent Some I keep , others I give away if in good condition, to anyone who needs one. I have some that are falling apart, but they are safe here. If you do need to get rid of it for lack of storage or if it is literally falling apart, then send it to a place of proper burial. I don't know what they have in Britain, but here we have depositories for Shamos, which means things with G-ds name on them.

Not sure if they will take a christian bible or not, but you could try.
Back to top Go down
http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
cyberlizard

poor old book Empty
PostSubject: Re: poor old book   poor old book EmptyFri Oct 26, 2007 4:34 am

thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content