our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

Share | 

What is Kosher? A primer for those interested

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: What is Kosher? A primer for those interested   Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:32 pm

What does it mean to eat Kosher or to live Kosher?

Kosher means 'fit to eat', it describes what is safe to eat according to what G-d tells us in his Holy Word.

One of the first admonishments is a negative command ( don't do this) and is found in Genesis 9:4 and it tells us that the life of a creature is in it's blood, therefore we aren't to eat it. This applies to all mankind, not just Jews. For gentiles that are believers in Yeshua/ Jesus this is spoken of in Acts 10, you are not to eat things with their blood, therefore the blood must be removed from it. In Acts 10 it also tells us of another command to do with eating meat, to not eat anything that is trief, or strangled, and this can mean anything not properly slaughtered and bled out.

For meats today to be certified Kosher they must be first what G-d calls a clean animal. The partial list includes:

Cows
Deer
Sheep
goats
camels ( yes camels but we don't eat them because they aren't sure how to slaughter them)
bison or buffalo
oxen

As you probably noticed these animals are all herbivors and chew the cud and don't have a split hoof, that is what distinguishes them from the animals we aren't to eat, those that are unclean.

On the unclean list which is distinquished as those that dont' chew the cud and don't have a split hoove

Rabbits
Pig
Bear
cat
dog, Yes, some cultures eat these
etc

The list for birds is

Chicken
Turkey
Duck
Goose

Non clean
eagle
ostrich
vulture
owls
kites
bats

Fish, the requirements for fish are two
1. They must have fins
2. They must have scales

They need to have both of these to be considered Kosher, or clean and fit to eat. This deletes the scavengers and garbage cleaners of the sea, the shellfish, the sharks, eels, etc.

Milk is allowed from the clean animals only and eggs from the clean birds only.

Another part of Kosher I will discuss in the next post
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
Vella

PostSubject: Re: What is Kosher? A primer for those interested   Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:43 pm

Psalms_119:105 wrote:
What does it mean to eat Kosher or to live Kosher?

Kosher means 'fit to eat', it describes what is safe to eat according to what G-d tells us in his Holy Word.

One of the first admonishments is a negative command ( don't do this) and is found in Genesis 9:4 and it tells us that the life of a creature is in it's blood, therefore we aren't to eat it. This applies to all mankind, not just Jews. For gentiles that are believers in Yeshua/ Jesus this is spoken of in Acts 10, you are not to eat things with their blood, therefore the blood must be removed from it. In Acts 10 it also tells us of another command to do with eating meat, to not eat anything that is trief, or strangled, and this can mean anything not properly slaughtered and bled out.

For meats today to be certified Kosher they must be first what G-d calls a clean animal. The partial list includes:

Cows
Deer
Sheep
goats
camels ( yes camels but we don't eat them because they aren't sure how to slaughter them)
bison or buffalo
oxen

As you probably noticed these animals are all herbivors and chew the cud and don't have a split hoof, that is what distinguishes them from the animals we aren't to eat, those that are unclean.

On the unclean list which is distinquished as those that dont' chew the cud and don't have a split hoove

Rabbits
Pig
Bear
cat
dog, Yes, some cultures eat these
etc

The list for birds is

Chicken
Turkey
Duck
Goose

Non clean
eagle
ostrich
vulture
owls
kites
bats

Fish, the requirements for fish are two
1. They must have fins
2. They must have scales

They need to have both of these to be considered Kosher, or clean and fit to eat. This deletes the scavengers and garbage cleaners of the sea, the shellfish, the sharks, eels, etc.

Milk is allowed from the clean animals only and eggs from the clean birds only.

Another part of Kosher I will discuss in the next post

That's very interesting, I never knew any of that....except you've recently told me about pigs.

Thanks for the info. Vella queen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vella

PostSubject: Re: What is Kosher? A primer for those interested   Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:32 am

Ok, so shellfish are OUT...like oysters. So, what about pearls which are made in oysters. Are pearls an "acceptable" form or jewellery? (Being a woman who loves jewellery,I had to ask that one !!) And what about other jewellery or clothes or colours. This stuff is really starting to interest me.......I'm not saying that I go along with it all.....I'm just saying it's most interesting....

Vella.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is Kosher? A primer for those interested   Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:16 pm

Hi Vella, Shabbat Shalom!

Pearls are the oysters saving grace.Smile They are most acceptable as jewelry, else why would Yeshua use them for the gates of the eternal city of Jerusalem? Smile

Rev 21:12

Quote :
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. 2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. ............................................................18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass. 19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; 20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst. 21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.

Also in Matthew the L-RD speaks of the pearl of great price, in 13:46 using it to describe the kingdom of heaven!

He also tells us to not cast our pearls ( of wisdom) to swine ( Matt &:6), a fitting verse for the topics we've been speaking of eh? Wink

Paul however tells us to be modest in our dress and not too gaudy with our jewels but I think a pearl ring or strand would be very nice and in the US this denotes a chaste and modest woman, it is a sign of purity.

This is from his first letter to Timothy, chapter 2

Quote :
9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
Back to top Go down
Vella

PostSubject: Re: What is Kosher? A primer for those interested   Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:20 pm

Psalms_119:105 wrote:
Hi Vella, Shabbat Shalom!

Pearls are the oysters saving grace.Smile They are most acceptable as jewelry, else why would Yeshua use them for the gates of the eternal city of Jerusalem? Smile

Rev 21:12

Quote :
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. 2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. ............................................................18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass. 19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; 20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst. 21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.

Also in Matthew the L-RD speaks of the pearl of great price, in 13:46 using it to describe the kingdom of heaven!

He also tells us to not cast our pearls ( of wisdom) to swine ( Matt &:6), a fitting verse for the topics we've been speaking of eh? Wink

Paul however tells us to be modest in our dress and not too gaudy with our jewels but I think a pearl ring or strand would be very nice and in the US this denotes a chaste and modest woman, it is a sign of purity.

This is from his first letter to Timothy, chapter 2

Quote :
9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

I LOVE jewellery, and oddly enough I've only just started to like pearls. I also love to wear bright colours. But I also like to cover up my....fat bits Embarassed of course at my age and figure, the fat bits aren't real pretty anymore. I must admit that's one thing I admire about Muslim women, their very modest dress. The way many young (and not so young) Western women dress, especially in summer, is quite disgraceful I think.

Vella.queen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is Kosher? A primer for those interested   Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:37 am

It doesn't get much better in the winter time here anyway! Wink It's a wonder they all don't have colds! :roll:
Back to top Go down
GerTzedek

PostSubject: Re: What is Kosher? A primer for those interested   Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:47 am

You never did your "follow up" post. Very Happy

In addition to eating only clean animals, there are three other aspects of kashrut.

1. Shechitah and the removal of blood: no animal may be eaten which is not killed a certain way. This particular manner of killing assures a quick and painless manner of killing and easy draining of blood. Only qualified people may do this. The meat is then certified kosher.

2. The hind portions: because Jacob wrestled with G-d and had his hip torn from its socket, part of kashrut has become to always remove the sciatic nerve in the cases of poultry, and to not eat the portions of meat surrounding if it is an animal. (Genesis 32:33). Sorry, no T-bone steak!

3. The seperation of meat and dairy. THREE TIMES the Torah tells us, "You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk." Not once, not twice, but three times -- even the ten commandments are only repeated twice. So we know this is VERY important. But what precisely does it mean? There is much speculation, but no one really has a definitive answer. Therefore the rabbis have ruled as broadly as possible, to avoid accidently violating this teaching. And as Deuteronomy 17 states, we are not to question these rabbinical rulings, but to obey them, going neither to the right nor to the left. The most obvious ruling has been for the seperation of meat from dairy. Sorry, no cheeseburgers! Even trace amounts must not be mixed -- that means seperate dishes are kept for meat and dairy, for example.

When you go into a supermarket, and pick up a can of beans and the can is marked as kosher, what that means is that it is rabbinically supervised and authenticated as having no contamination from the use of factory vats or tools used for meat and/or dairy. If it is marked P or Parve or Pareve, this means it is certified as neither meat nor dairy, and may be eaten with either. Observant Jews will only buy bread that is parve, meaning it is not made with milk, so that they can use it to make sandwiches with or eat along with meat meals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is Kosher? A primer for those interested   Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:45 am

GerTzedek wrote:
You never did your "follow up" post. Very Happy

In addition to eating only clean animals, there are three other aspects of kashrut.

1. Shechitah and the removal of blood: no animal may be eaten which is not killed a certain way. This particular manner of killing assures a quick and painless manner of killing and easy draining of blood. Only qualified people may do this. The meat is then certified kosher.

2. The hind portions: because Jacob wrestled with G-d and had his hip torn from its socket, part of kashrut has become to always remove the sciatic nerve in the cases of poultry, and to not eat the portions of meat surrounding if it is an animal. (Genesis 32:33). Sorry, no T-bone steak!

3. The seperation of meat and dairy. THREE TIMES the Torah tells us, "You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk." Not once, not twice, but three times -- even the ten commandments are only repeated twice. So we know this is VERY important. But what precisely does it mean? There is much speculation, but no one really has a definitive answer. Therefore the rabbis have ruled as broadly as possible, to avoid accidently violating this teaching. And as Deuteronomy 17 states, we are not to question these rabbinical rulings, but to obey them, going neither to the right nor to the left. The most obvious ruling has been for the seperation of meat from dairy. Sorry, no cheeseburgers! Even trace amounts must not be mixed -- that means seperate dishes are kept for meat and dairy, for example.

When you go into a supermarket, and pick up a can of beans and the can is marked as kosher, what that means is that it is rabbinically supervised and authenticated as having no contamination from the use of factory vats or tools used for meat and/or dairy. If it is marked P or Parve or Pareve, this means it is certified as neither meat nor dairy, and may be eaten with either. Observant Jews will only buy bread that is parve, meaning it is not made with milk, so that they can use it to make sandwiches with or eat along with meat meals.
There was a reason for that, and I didn't need any help, but thanks.
Back to top Go down
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is Kosher? A primer for those interested   Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:58 am

GerTzedek wrote:
Very Happy

That is not quite accurate. The meat is only certified when it has been examined and deemed Kosher. If it is not it is sold to gentile markets for mass consumption. The internal organs are checked for lessions, mainly the liver and lungs. This is called 'Glatt' and means smooth. Also certain parts are not certified like the fat around the kidneys and diaphram ( Lev 3:17 ) this fat can be used for anything but eating ( lubrication of machinery, non food of course, as well as other things) , it was also sacrificed on the altar. This particular fat contains the toxins of the animals body and therefore are not good to eat.

Also a part of mammals not eaten, sheep, oxen, cows, goats, etc, is the upper thigh because of Jacob wrestling with the angel ( see Gen 32:31-32)

Quote :

Opps, see you mentioned that, but there is no Gen 32:33, it ends at 32 Wink )

Quote :

Yes, and this has extended to the point of even including birds as like a young goat or sheep, yet fish may not only be served with dairy, many popular Jewish deli delicacies are made with both, like Lox and cream cheese, or herring in sour cream sauce.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Kosher? A primer for those interested   

Back to top Go down

What is Kosher? A primer for those interested
Page 1 of 1