our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

Share | 
 

 Christmas....... and Jews...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vella
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
avatar

Posts : 136
Join date : 2007-08-24
Age : 67
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Christmas....... and Jews...   Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:59 am

Does Christmas...ie..the rememberance of the birth of Christ, mean anything to Jews ? Even though even Christians know that historically Jesus was not born on Dec.25th.

I really can't imagine that it does mean anything to them. But do they have another Jewish feast they celebrate at the same time Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus. I know our Easter is the time of Passover for Jews, but just wondered about Christmas.

Vella. queen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
avatar

Posts : 207
Join date : 2007-08-23
Age : 49
Location : chesterfield, UK

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:14 am

i suspect it is only really relevant to messianic jews and most of those take a dim view of christmas in general. But i am not jewish and so cannot say for sure.

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cyberlizard.co.uk
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
avatar

Posts : 460
Join date : 2007-08-23
Age : 63
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:27 pm

We celebrate Hanukkah around this time, last year I think it was right around Christmas week, this year though it was a few weeks ago, because we have different calendars. Smile

No, Jews do not believe in Christmas but some that are secular or even reformed Jews will go to holiday parties, etc, they see it more secular than religious, which basically nowadays it is. Smile

( for many merchants though, this is the 'black' time of year so they are grateful for it, even if they don't know why. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
Vella
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
avatar

Posts : 136
Join date : 2007-08-24
Age : 67
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:46 am

Psalms_119:105 wrote:
We celebrate Hanukkah around this time, last year I think it was right around Christmas week, this year though it was a few weeks ago, because we have different calendars. Smile

No, Jews do not believe in Christmas but some that are secular or even reformed Jews will go to holiday parties, etc, they see it more secular than religious, which basically nowadays it is. Smile

( for many merchants though, this is the 'black' time of year so they are grateful for it, even if they don't know why. Wink

What do you mean by a "black" time of year for merchants ?? I don't understand the expression. Do you mean, people spend less money at this time? I think for many non-Jews Christmas has no religious meaning, even those who "claim" to be Christians put little importance on Christ and more on "Santa" and gifts.

Thanks for you thoughts and explanation
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zaksmummy
Sr. Member
Sr. Member


Posts : 147
Join date : 2007-08-25
Age : 43
Location : Chesterfield, UK

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:43 am

I was reading our town paper last night at work. A woman who ran a post office in the town was forced to make an apology to her customers after she put up a notice to say that she hated Christmas as it was too commercialised, no-one actually bothered that it was a "religious" holiday and that she wasnt selling any christmas stuff except cards.

One customer was quoted as sying she thought the poster was a thank you to customers for shopping there for the year and quite upset that it wasnt.

I laughed and laughed when I read this.

In Britain if you dont "do" all thnings christmas you are seen as very strange and a bit of a "scrooge".

Catrin xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vella
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
avatar

Posts : 136
Join date : 2007-08-24
Age : 67
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:18 pm

zaksmummy wrote:
I was reading our town paper last night at work. A woman who ran a post office in the town was forced to make an apology to her customers after she put up a notice to say that she hated Christmas as it was too commercialised, no-one actually bothered that it was a "religious" holiday and that she wasnt selling any christmas stuff except cards.

One customer was quoted as sying she thought the poster was a thank you to customers for shopping there for the year and quite upset that it wasnt.

I laughed and laughed when I read this.

In Britain if you dont "do" all thnings christmas you are seen as very strange and a bit of a "scrooge".

Catrin xx

Well Catrin, this year our Christmas is a bit "scrooge".....no decorations in the house because I can't be bothered....we bought some bath towels back from Tasmania for my parents as a souveneir (??spelling) but gave it to them as a Christmas gift, so close it may as well serve both purposes. Didn't send out hardly and cards, and don't even really think of Christmas as much of a religious feast anymore, because we all know Christ wasn't born in December anyway. So to us it's more or less just another ordinary day where we stay quietly at home. The significance of Christ is an all round thing for us each day of the year. As far as Christmas and Easter is concerned in a religious way, I feel Easter is more important. OK, Christ was born....sometime during the year....that's all fine, but if He hadn't died and rose for us, then His birth wouldn't have been special at all, so to me, Easter and His resurrection is far more special spiritually. Of course I can understand why people enjoy Christmas time if they have children, and many non religious families enjoy the commercial side of things, it's a great time to get together with family for a party, but .... barrr humbug....I can't be bothered !!!

Vella. queen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
avatar

Posts : 460
Join date : 2007-08-23
Age : 63
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:13 pm

Vella wrote:
Psalms_119:105 wrote:
We celebrate Hanukkah around this time, last year I think it was right around Christmas week, this year though it was a few weeks ago, because we have different calendars. Smile

No, Jews do not believe in Christmas but some that are secular or even reformed Jews will go to holiday parties, etc, they see it more secular than religious, which basically nowadays it is. Smile

( for many merchants though, this is the 'black' time of year so they are grateful for it, even if they don't know why. Wink

What do you mean by a "black" time of year for merchants ?? I don't understand the expression. Do you mean, people spend less money at this time? I think for many non-Jews Christmas has no religious meaning, even those who "claim" to be Christians put little importance on Christ and more on "Santa" and gifts.

Thanks for you thoughts and explanation
I guess this is an American expression.:duh:Sorry. Smile Here in the USA, the day after Thanksgiving is called Black Friday. It sounds bad but in reality it is a good thing, at least for merchants. It is the one day of the year for many that their books are not in the red , as in red ink to show they are in a deficite, because that is the day that many start their holiday shopping as Thanksgiving is over and they have the day off work ( unless they work for one of the merchants Wink ) Black means they have made a profit. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
avatar

Posts : 460
Join date : 2007-08-23
Age : 63
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:17 pm

Vella wrote:
zaksmummy wrote:
I was reading our town paper last night at work. A woman who ran a post office in the town was forced to make an apology to her customers after she put up a notice to say that she hated Christmas as it was too commercialised, no-one actually bothered that it was a "religious" holiday and that she wasnt selling any christmas stuff except cards.

One customer was quoted as sying she thought the poster was a thank you to customers for shopping there for the year and quite upset that it wasnt.

I laughed and laughed when I read this.

In Britain if you dont "do" all thnings christmas you are seen as very strange and a bit of a "scrooge".

Catrin xx

Well Catrin, this year our Christmas is a bit "scrooge".....no decorations in the house because I can't be bothered....we bought some bath towels back from Tasmania for my parents as a souveneir (??spelling) but gave it to them as a Christmas gift, so close it may as well serve both purposes. Didn't send out hardly and cards, and don't even really think of Christmas as much of a religious feast anymore, because we all know Christ wasn't born in December anyway. So to us it's more or less just another ordinary day where we stay quietly at home. The significance of Christ is an all round thing for us each day of the year. As far as Christmas and Easter is concerned in a religious way, I feel Easter is more important. OK, Christ was born....sometime during the year....that's all fine, but if He hadn't died and rose for us, then His birth wouldn't have been special at all, so to me, Easter and His resurrection is far more special spiritually. Of course I can understand why people enjoy Christmas time if they have children, and many non religious families enjoy the commercial side of things, it's a great time to get together with family for a party, but .... barrr humbug....I can't be bothered !!!

Vella. queen
It saddens me that people concentrate on this one time of year, buying gifts for one another, and cleaning and decorating their houses, having parties, and giving to charities, but why not the rest of the year? People need to be remembered then and helped and feed and clothed and fellowshipped with. And the pressure it puts on some , if you aren't invited anywhere, if you don't get a certain amount of cards in the mail and numberous other things, can put someone into a depression ( at least in the Northern Hemisphere) when it is the darkest and gloomiest time of year to begin with. And many end up in hospital or take their own lives.

Caitlin and Steve, do you see an increase in your wards during this time of year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
Vella
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
avatar

Posts : 136
Join date : 2007-08-24
Age : 67
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:37 am

We've had 12 road deaths in Australia in the last week already....a 2yr old died of heat yesterday after being left in a car for 2 hours...it was about 35c outside, probably about 75c inside the car, 3 or 4 children have drowned while swimming already......Christmas isn't a happy time for many, many people.

I'm sure the Lord would be much happier if we celebrated every day of the year treating His people with respect and dignity, not just making an excuse one day a year. I guess that's why Christmas Day itself is meaning less to me as I get older. Anyway, tomorrow is predicted to be 40c....so we're staying inside with the air conditioner on....no way am I going outside in such heat.

God Bless you one and all, my dear, dear friends. I love you

Vella. queen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
avatar

Posts : 207
Join date : 2007-08-23
Age : 49
Location : chesterfield, UK

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:39 am

a slight increase running up to christmas, and a slightly bigger one after the christmas bubble has burst.

people seem to run on empty and then as chrsitmas passes the oil in the engine dissappears and they seize up leading to their admission.

Sometimes though we get particular patients who get themselves deliberately admitted so they can have some rest and social contact over christmas.

Its sad but it does happen.

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cyberlizard.co.uk
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
avatar

Posts : 460
Join date : 2007-08-23
Age : 63
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:19 pm

Yes, I can understand that, it's sad but also a great time to witness. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
Vella
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
avatar

Posts : 136
Join date : 2007-08-24
Age : 67
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:48 am

Psalms_119:105 wrote:
Yes, I can understand that, it's sad but also a great time to witness. Smile

Indeed you're right...it is a great time to witness and I've had the opportunity to do it about twice this year that I remember.

First to my son...via the email....he's into Christmas, but only the Santa bit. So I sent him a little "funny" about what if there were 3 wise women who visited the crib, rather than 3 wise men. I may have posted it here, not sure, anyway, at least it acknowledged Christs birth, so I hope that got over to him.

The other was to a friend of ours.....he sent us a Christmas email that started off ok, a crib, people singing original carols, then it said....oh this is boring, and they showed half naked women shaking themselves all over and big jugs of beer and very raunchy things......I was pretty disgusted, but didn't know how to reply. A couple of days later, my daughter sent me a lovely Christian email greeting, so I just forwarded that to my friend who had sent me the offensive message........haven't heard back from them, but I hope they got the message of what I think of Christmas......

Vella. queen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Christmas....... and Jews...   

Back to top Go down
 
Christmas....... and Jews...
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» The Mccann's Christmas Single (Are they taking the piss?)
» Watch Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas Online Free and Full Movie HD, DVDRip or Blu-ray 720p December 2013
» T?ng h?p cc mn qu v thi?p Ging Sinh- merry christmas
» merry christmas all xxx
» Unique Christmas traditions from around the world

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
our father abraham :: Life as you know it :: Past, Present and Future-
Jump to: