our father abraham
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

Jews and the New Year....

Go down 
+2
cyberlizard
Vella
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Vella
Vella

Jews and the New Year.... Empty
PostSubject: Jews and the New Year....   Jews and the New Year.... EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 4:49 am

Do Jews celebrate January 1st as the beginning of a new year ? Or do they have a different calendar ?
Back to top Go down
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
cyberlizard

PostSubject: Re: Jews and the New Year....   Jews and the New Year.... EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 5:39 am

not sure on first part - but yes, definiately have their own calendar.

Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.cyberlizard.co.uk
Vella
Vella

PostSubject: Re: Jews and the New Year....   Jews and the New Year.... EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 6:35 am

cyberlizard wrote:
not sure on first part - but yes, definiately have their own calendar.

Steve

Word will probably be able to help me out with this one..Very Happy

Anyway, I offer you all my best wishes for the future 12 months...joy in accepting the good times and courage to endure the challenges....I don't think I believe in ....bad times...anymore...just challenges !! thumbs up Which with the grace of God we can all over come....

xxxxxxxx Vella. queen
Back to top Go down
zaksmummy

PostSubject: Re: Jews and the New Year....   Jews and the New Year.... EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 7:51 am

Happy New Year to you as well Vella, I guess you'll already be there by now, so hope you're having a great party and then a good nights sleep!!!

Catrin xx
Back to top Go down
Arlev

PostSubject: Re: Jews and the New Year....   Jews and the New Year.... EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 11:34 am

This post has been removed

Last edited by on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Psalms_119:105

PostSubject: Re: Jews and the New Year....   Jews and the New Year.... EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 7:08 pm

Actually we have many new years. There is the agriculture new year and there is the civil new year, then there is the roman new year the rest of the world goes by and is secular so most of us celebrate it in one form or another, except for the Ultra Orthodox. Smile

Tishri 1 is called Rosh Hashanah which means Head of the year and it starts on the first day of the month, unlike all other festivals, Rosh Hashanah is on the new moon the first day. So it can be determined when this is but only traditionally by the Aviv month, the month in spring which is determined by the barley, as it is important to keeping the feast of unleavened bread.

Aviv, or the babylonian name, Nissan, has three feasts actually
, First comes Passover which happens on the changing of the 14th to the 15th of Aviv, the next day is ( starting at sundown on the 15th) unleavened bread and it followed on the 16th by first fruits, this is very important when figuring in Messiah in these festivals. Smile

What we call our civil calendar now was introduced by G-d from Genesis to Exodus 12, he changed it in Exodus 12:1. A good example to see this is in the flood story. This was changed because the moedim or appointed times ( feasts) were being introduced and were contingent on the argicultural cycle which they would be taking up when entering the land, when before they were basically wanderers.
Back to top Go down
http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
Arlev

PostSubject: Re: Jews and the New Year....   Jews and the New Year.... EmptyTue Jan 01, 2008 1:27 am

This post has been removed

Last edited by on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JewishTaskForceWoman
JewishTaskForceWoman

PostSubject: Re: Jews and the New Year....   Jews and the New Year.... EmptyTue Jan 01, 2008 6:24 am

No Jews don't see the New Year as Christains do. The Jewish New Year has already past.
Back to top Go down
http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jews and the New Year....   Jews and the New Year.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Jews and the New Year....
Page 1 of 1