our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

Share | 

Yom Kippor (hope I spelt it right)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
zaksmummy

PostSubject: Yom Kippor (hope I spelt it right)   Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Its the day of Atonement soon, what do you actually do on the day?

I am under the impression that fasting is done, is there anything else. I feel kind of lead to fast as well on this day, but dont know what else is involved. We are also supposed to be going to a wedding, so does it start at sunset on the friday or does it start in the morning?

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Catrin xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Neriah

PostSubject: Re: Yom Kippor (hope I spelt it right)   Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:29 pm

Yom Kippur means "Day of Atonement".

There is no work, no eating and drinking on Yom Kippur. It is a complete 25-hour fast beginning before sunset on the evening before Yom Kippur and ending after nightfall on the day of Yom Kippur.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yom Kippor (hope I spelt it right)   Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:38 pm

zaksmummy wrote:
Its the day of Atonement soon, what do you actually do on the day?

I am under the impression that fasting is done, is there anything else. I feel kind of lead to fast as well on this day, but dont know what else is involved. We are also supposed to be going to a wedding, so does it start at sunset on the friday or does it start in the morning?

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Catrin xx
First comes Rosh Hashanah, the head of the year, and the blowing of the trumpets or shofars. Then ten days later is Yom Kippur the most solemn day of the year. This year it falls on Shabbat starting on Friday evening and going to Saturday evening. It is a day we are to deny ourselves of all pleasure, so I don't think it will jive well with going to a wedding which should be a joyful time ( Observant Jews don't marry on Shabbat no matter what shabbat. ).

If you feel lead in your heart to make some commitment to observing this day why not fast Friday evening until lunch? I am not sure when your wedding is......................

this whole month we are in now, the month of Elul is based on repentance leading up to Tishri 10, the forty days of repentance. It is a time to make teshuvah, to turn from our fleshly sinful ways, to make amends between family and friends and mostly between ourselves and HaShem.

Here's a little insight for you http://messianichomeschool.net/YomKippur.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
zaksmummy

PostSubject: Re: Yom Kippor (hope I spelt it right)   Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:40 am

Ye, I read about Elul and have been repenting, and trying to make things right with people already, with mixed success. Its amazing how many sins you realise you have committed when you take time to sit and look at your behaviour, isnt it? It is a good job that God is so forgiving.

Anyway the wedding is on the friday, and there is no evening reception which means by the time it gets to sunset we should be home, so thankfully from what you say I will be able to fast.

Thanks for the link it was very helpful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yom Kippor (hope I spelt it right)   Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:54 pm

I hope you have a brilliant time!

Yes, we sin so many times a day, even if we don't speak to anyone, things we think can be sinful. It is good HaShem gave us a whole month, we need it! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
zaksmummy

PostSubject: Re: Yom Kippor (hope I spelt it right)   Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:09 pm

I found out the other day, I got the dates mixed up, the wedding is this friday, Yom Kippor is next friday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yom Kippor (hope I spelt it right)   

Back to top Go down

Yom Kippor (hope I spelt it right)
Page 1 of 1