our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

Share | 

And yet another question...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lawson Alan

PostSubject: And yet another question...   Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:38 pm

I am curious if any Christians celebrate Yom Kippur.

I know that christians still observe passover.

I wonder why one, and not the other?

If anyone knows Cool

LA
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lunchwithgod.com
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostSubject: Re: And yet another question...   Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:34 am

it is an exceptionally good question.

My wife and I, have rececently been introduced to the whole hebraid roots teaching, but not by any man. For us it came complete out of nowhere.

At the minute we struggle, not just cause it is quite 'odd' but because the only other messianic believers we know are the ones we know online. Britain is quite small, and there is not really a large jewish population, which means synagogues are few and far between in our land.

We have started to study the feasts, but it is one thing knowing the theory about them, and another to know how they are celebrated practically. Another question we struggle with is related, and that is our relation to either keeping or not keeping the Torah. We cannot find any cut and dry answers. It is difficult as the NT is written to a primarily Jewish audience. And Paul appears to have been so misrepresented that hammering through 2000 years of baggage is proving mentally difficult.

However all that aside, the month of Elul has been one of introspection and my wife is looking forward to yom kippur (in a strange kind of way).

Steve

p.s. i am sure this does not really answer the question but gives you an insight into the difficulties faced by christians with no jewish background at all (in practice or theology)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cyberlizard.co.uk
zaksmummy

PostSubject: Re: And yet another question...   Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:07 pm

Yes quite strangely, I dont feel at all inclided to celebrate Rosh Hashannah, but do feel the need to observe Yom Kippur. If you could explain that to me I'd be grateful, after all what is fun about a 25 hour fast with no wash or brushing of teeth?

Catrin xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GerTzedek

PostSubject: Re: And yet another question...   Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:23 am

There are Christians who join Jews during Yom Kippur. There is no Chrsitian church which includes Yom Kippur as a holy day. Messianic Judaism of course observes Yom Kippur, but then Messianic Judaism is a Judaism, and not Christianity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Juski
Jr.Member
Jr.Member

PostSubject: Re: And yet another question...   Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi Dudes,

we are "christians" and celebrate all 7 biblical feasts. There are a few churches out there that celebrate officially and quite a few indivuals that celebrate at home.

I don't think its about being Jewish and taking on everything the Jews do, just acknowledging that these feasts are very important to God, and very significant to our timeline. Some feasts are fun, some are not so fun, but they are all important because they draw us into closer relationship with Yahweh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostSubject: Re: And yet another question...   Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:43 pm

i would agree, the feasts provide a shadow, and by entering into the feasts we are able to bring the shadow into a tigher focus until one day in the future (as it says in colossians) we see the reality, and the reality is to be experienced through Yeshua.

cannot wait for the day!
Back to top Go down
Vella

PostSubject: Re: And yet another question...   Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:41 pm

Well excuse me again.....here comes dumb, dumb (me) I've heard of Yom Kippur and other strange sounding .... celebrations...feasts...or whatever they are considered to be...and I've propbably been told what they mean over the years, but to be honest, I can't remember anything about what they mean. I guess mainly because I've never had anything to do with Jewish tranditions. But they all sound quite fascinating.

Vella. queen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostSubject: Re: And yet another question...   Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:06 am

for you vella and also for swangman

if you look in the 'tanakh' section - thats what jews call the 'old testament'. you will see each of the festivals listed (except sabbath) to which i am hoping to add information over time rather than rush it. And also hoping others will add to it also.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And yet another question...   

Back to top Go down

And yet another question...
Page 1 of 1