our father abraham
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

generational curses

Go down 
+2
Psalms_119:105
cyberlizard
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
cyberlizard

generational curses Empty
PostSubject: generational curses   generational curses EmptyWed Nov 21, 2007 2:21 am

just recently, the have been a glut of books by such authors as Marilyn Hickey, on the subject of 'generational curses'.

What does everyone think of this idea and can they actually make a scriptural case for it either way.... scripture, nor anecdotes please!

Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.cyberlizard.co.uk
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: generational curses   generational curses EmptyWed Nov 21, 2007 12:51 pm

It is in our Shema and also in the Ten Words ( or commandments):

Quote :
1 Then God said all these words: t 2 "I am ADONAI your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the abode of slavery. 3 "You are to have no other gods before me. 4 You are not to make for yourselves a carved image or any kind of representation of anything in heaven above, on the earth beneath or in the water below the shoreline. 5 You are not to bow down to them or serve them; for I, ADONAI your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sins of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but displaying grace to the thousandth generation of those who love me and obey my mitzvot.

A thousand generations would be if only a generation was 20 years, 20,000 years, and we know that is longer than man has been on earth. So those who descend from righteous men and women that followed after the L-RDs
laws and loved him, bring protection upon their children, just as those who don't do not have this legacy to hand down.

I am not sure how this goes for gentiles but in Deut.,we, the Jews were told that if we obeyed the L-RD and his commandments that we would receive blessings, and if not, curses. He speaks of them not just falling on those present but down from our ancestors. This is because we were to be a people, not just people, but a certain people, all corporately representing the L-RD. IN Deut. 28 it speaks of the curses that will befall those who do not keep the covenant, and one of them is found in verse 18, 'cursed shall be the fruit of thy body'. Verse 46 down is more ominous and pertinent to your question:

Quote :
45 "All
these curses will come on you, pursuing you and overtaking you until
you are destroyed, because you didn't pay attention to what ADONAI your
God said, observing his mitzvot and regulations that he gave you. 46 These curses will be on you and your descendants as a sign and a wonder forever.

And if you know anything about Jewish history you know that HaShem stood behind his word, because we are a sign of Him in the earth.

But for gentiles, I don't know. There are certain nations that the L-RD has promised to recompense for what they have done, usually in relationship to how they treat Israel, but not always.

A gentile curse I can give you scripture for is about Amelek. The L-RD swore to have war with him from generation to generation. Amelek was the grandson of Esau, Jacobs brother. And it is still going on today. I will share on this in another thread sometime.

So, to answer your question, I believe it, but not sure if it extends to everyone, but from other evidence I would say, yes, but you didn't want antidotes. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
Arlev

PostSubject: Re: generational curses   generational curses EmptyFri Dec 21, 2007 11:20 am

This post has been removed

Last edited by on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vella
Vella

PostSubject: Re: generational curses   generational curses EmptyFri Dec 21, 2007 7:10 pm

Arlev wrote:
The subject of 'generational curses' needs not to be confused with 'inheriting generational traits' (for want of a better phrase).

The latter would contain such things as genetic weaknesses - I can also vouch for having some physical weaknesses inherited from past generations and some psychological influences, too.

The former subject, however, is difficult to show from the NT and the adherents often have to use lengthy procedures to remove them - Jesus spoke a word and people were restored and healed, it was rare that He spent much more time than that.

The 'procedures' seem to warrant the understanding that this doctrine may be more to do with modern day psychiatry than it is with Biblical christianity.

Lee

I know very little about these things, but for my 2 cents worth, I think I agree with you Lee. I know of several "traits" that I'm sure have come down from my family, but I think calling them a "curse" might be putting it a bit strongly....though, some of the "traits" aren't very pleasant. I've always tended to think of "curses" belonging to witches and goolies etc etc.

Vella. queen
Back to top Go down
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: generational curses   generational curses EmptySun Dec 23, 2007 5:09 pm

I would not confuss DNA inheritance with a generational curse, as I posted before, curses can be put upon us for the behavior of our fathers towards HaShem. But genetic inheritances are another matter. I would hate to think I have Celiac disease as a punishment, having it is enough of a punishment! Smile
Back to top Go down
Aurorah_Tapistry

PostSubject: Re: generational curses   generational curses EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:29 pm

Just a thought; "Repent" & "Return" -

http://www.gottorah.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1244&posts=8#M7433

..or this government..

Could return to our heritage have relivence here?
Back to top Go down
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: generational curses   generational curses EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:12 pm

This country has a lot to repent for and I doubt it will. G-d has been warning us that he will take his hand of blessing off of us if we don't, there was 9-11 and then a series of devestating hurricanes, then tornados out of season, and now earthquakes, but no one seems to see the pattern, nor hear the calling of our love to return to him................
Back to top Go down
tturt

PostSubject: Re: generational curses   generational curses EmptyFri May 09, 2008 4:35 pm

A few see the pattern. Read recently someone had researched and compiled a list of every time we've (our nation) done something against Israel, they listed the devastation that followed.

But let me assure you more Gentiles are noting the feasts and learning.
Back to top Go down
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: generational curses   generational curses EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Check out a book called Eye to Eye by white house correspondant Bill Koenig
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: generational curses   generational curses Empty

Back to top Go down

generational curses
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
our father abraham :: Congregational Gatherings :: Fellowship :: Coffee Lounge - (Guests can Post)-
Jump to: