our father abraham
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

Blessing Yahweh

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tturt

Blessing Yahweh Empty
PostSubject: Blessing Yahweh   Blessing Yahweh EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 3:16 am

I've been reading some about Jewish customs. On an article about
wedding ceremonies there are about 9 blessings but only 2 of them
deal directly with the couple while the others are blessing Yahweh. I was a little surprised b/c the ceremonies I'll familiar with - the emphasis is on the couple. But thought it was wonderful! Is that the way it is for most ceremonies?

Sometimes in the church bulletin instead of "God Bless America," it's "America blesses God."

Some believers don't think Yahweh needs blessing. I don't think He needs it - we do.
Back to top Go down
zaksmummy

Blessing Yahweh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blessing Yahweh   Blessing Yahweh EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 12:11 pm

Ye I know what you are saying, but God likes to be blessed by us as well. In a Shabbat meal they is a time when prayers are said for wine and bread, and the blessing is for God, to say that he is blessed for providing the food. The blessing is not directly for the food, if you et what I mean. It took me a while to get used to this and understand it, but now I really like it.

In the bible study we did a couple of weeks ago it was on the offerings givenin the temple, and the first offering that we discussed were offering for God to come near to him I cant remember the exact name for them but if you read Leviticus there are there near the front of the book. It really stuck me as a beautiful thing, that God wants us to get close to him.

If you look at the when Jesus is saying the Lords Prayer he starts with "Our father who is in heaven, hallowed by your name" -this is a blessing, and as far as I can see putting God in his rightful place, I guess this is what it is for.

I stop rambling now - just my observations!

Catrin xx
Back to top Go down
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Blessing Yahweh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blessing Yahweh   Blessing Yahweh EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:17 pm

There is a good book you should get called Blessing the King of the Universe. In it you will find that in every thing you do you should bless the L-RD. And by blessing the L-RD I mean that you should show awe, recognition, pay homage to, because we can give him , the creator of the universe no blessing of something he doesnt' already have, exept our obedience and love. So to bless him is not like him blessing us.

For example when you wake up, recognize how he is tied into everything about it.

Thank him for a safe and restful sleep, for being able to open your eyes and see all around you. To hear the sounds of the morning, to smell the coffee brewing, to hear the laugh or crying of your child. to have hunger in your belly for food and being able to walk to you kitchen or go out to the store or resturant and satisfy that. To have a car to get there, to have a job to go to afterwards, to make it there safe, to have the job you have when others don't.

See what I mean? In everything acknowledge that it all comes from him. I think when you start to do this, the complaining about things in life will decrease, you will see how blessed You are and bless him even more! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
tturt

Blessing Yahweh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blessing Yahweh   Blessing Yahweh EmptyFri May 09, 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks for the book recommendation.

A verse that comes to mind to support what you're saying is "This is the day the L-rd has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it." I admit I'm not a morning person so to go in the opposite direction does take effort.

Just a couple of days ago I was thinking of the many times I've admired and appreciated nature but didn't bother to thank our Creator. So thanks for reminding me how important it is to be thankful.
Back to top Go down
zaksmummy

Blessing Yahweh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blessing Yahweh   Blessing Yahweh EmptySat May 31, 2008 10:33 am

Steven changed some of the liturgy we recite on Shabbat a couple of weeks ago, he included a beautiful prayer which starts

There is none like our God, there is none like our Lord, there is none like our King, there is none like our Deliverer.

Despite the fact that I dont really like liturgy, it feels false in some ways to me to pray like this, I really love the liturgy of the Siddur, the prayers carry so much meaning and bless Go so much.
Back to top Go down
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Blessing Yahweh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blessing Yahweh   Blessing Yahweh EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 2:36 am

That's Ein Keloheinu, do you do it in english or Hebrew? Do you have the melody, or do you just read it?
Back to top Go down
http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
zaksmummy

Blessing Yahweh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blessing Yahweh   Blessing Yahweh EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 2:45 pm

We have a tape with someone singing it, but to be honest at the moment we just read it. It feels wrong to read it, it should be sung, the tape we have just has one man's voice on it, and I dont think he is very good at singing.

If you know of any good renditions on the web please post links, or if anyone has done it as a song on an album, I would buy it, just so that I can hear it and learn to sing it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blessing Yahweh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blessing Yahweh   Blessing Yahweh Empty

Back to top Go down

Blessing Yahweh
Page 1 of 1