our father abraham
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

The shofar

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
zaksmummy

The shofar Empty
PostSubject: The shofar   The shofar EmptyMon Sep 10, 2007 3:13 pm

I'm pleased to say that I can blow a Shofar:D

I had a go at church on sunday, and a sound came out of it. I know that the shofar is blown a lot but what is it for? Do you blow it every day? (I'm sure I read on CF that some people do)

Any help in understanding this would be gratefully recieved.
Back to top Go down
tturt

The shofar Empty
PostSubject: Re: The shofar   The shofar EmptyMon Sep 10, 2007 11:45 pm

That's great that you can blow the shofar!

I've read some about the blowing of the shofar - how it's blown = meaning. I know it's suppose to be blown for the new year.

Also, read about how they're made which was very interesting. Juanita Bynum wrote about it in one of her recent books and it was really great.
Back to top Go down
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

The shofar Empty
PostSubject: Re: The shofar   The shofar EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 12:44 pm

Actually the day you said you weren't interested too much in the other thread, Rosh Hashanah, is also known by another name, Yom Teruah, which means the Day of blowing and it is today ( probably done for you in UK now). It is the day we go to synagogue and hear per the commandment the blowing of the shofars. This is a rehersal for that great time coming that is explained in Revelation. you will read about the blowing of the trumpets, the english word for Shofar.

We hear them at least 100 times.

I must say it is traditional that only men blow the shofar, as it used to be the job of the priests and there were no women priests in G-ds priesthood/service.
Back to top Go down
http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
tturt

The shofar Empty
PostSubject: Re: The shofar   The shofar EmptyFri Sep 14, 2007 3:43 am

If you're referring to me, "actually the day you said you weren't interested too much in the other thread?" I'm perplexed. Could you refer me to the post/thread? I've searched. It doesn't sound like me.

I certainly apologize if it was something I said - sure wasn't my intent if that's the conclusion that was drawn.
Back to top Go down
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

The shofar Empty
PostSubject: Re: The shofar   The shofar EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 7:33 pm

No, sorry , I was talking to zaksmuummy. Smile
Back to top Go down
tturt

The shofar Empty
PostSubject: Re: The shofar   The shofar EmptyWed Sep 26, 2007 4:18 am

Great.

We seem to lose so much communication by posting sometimes.

In relationship to the shofar, we recorded several different sounds off the internet that we play. Plus a lady came to our church just to blow a shofar. It's awesome.

Read where it's blown a 100 times. Within what time frame would that be done?
Back to top Go down
zaksmummy

The shofar Empty
PostSubject: Re: The shofar   The shofar EmptySat Sep 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Psalms, I didnt say I wasnt interested did I? What I meant is that God didnt "nudge" me to celebrate it, like he did for Yom Kippur. I am still trying to understand this myself, and seeking God about it and other things.

Catrin xx
Back to top Go down
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

The shofar Empty
PostSubject: Re: The shofar   The shofar EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 2:12 pm

tturt wrote:
Great.

We seem to lose so much communication by posting sometimes.

In relationship to the shofar, we recorded several different sounds off the internet that we play. Plus a lady came to our church just to blow a shofar. It's awesome.

Read where it's blown a 100 times. Within what time frame would that be done?
I know what you mean. Smile
About the lady, I don't agree with women doing this, but that's me, I am glad you got to hear it in person, much different than on line.

100 times, there are three services on Yom Teruah or Rosh HaShannah.

First one on Erev Yom Teruah, after sundown. The shofar is blown many times ( I didn't count) and then there is a morning service and it is blown again the same amount of times, three different ways ( because they aren't sure how it was done, so cover all bases Wink ) then there is a closing service and it is blown again with a huge Tekiah haGadol! this is where everyone joins in with a great shout like on the seventh and last day of circling Jericho. This is also called the last Trump Wink
Back to top Go down
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

The shofar Empty
PostSubject: Re: The shofar   The shofar EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 2:17 pm

zaksmummy wrote:
Psalms, I didnt say I wasnt interested did I? What I meant is that God didnt "nudge" me to celebrate it, like he did for Yom Kippur. I am still trying to understand this myself, and seeking God about it and other things.

Catrin xx
I don't remember the post now, but that was what I remember getting from it, I must have misunderstood. However all three are tied together. Yom Teruah is a warning that we really only have a short ten days left and we must get things in order. This is the warning of the Day of the L-RD so it is not just a day of hearing the shofar, we are to hear it as it is a call to repentance. and also judgment if we don't that is why you see the same symbolism in Revelation with the trumpet blasts, these are shofrim.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The shofar Empty
PostSubject: Re: The shofar   The shofar Empty

Back to top Go down

The shofar
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
our father abraham :: Congregational Gatherings :: Judaism - From Orthodox to Messianic-
Jump to: