our father abraham
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

our father abraham

your word is a lamp unto my feet

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  peculiar people forumpeculiar people forum  

week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
cyberlizard

week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan Empty
PostSubject: week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan   week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan EmptyTue Oct 23, 2007 6:29 am

torah portion - Vayera - 'He appeared'

genesis 18v1-22v24

2 Kings 4v1-37
Back to top Go down
http://www.cyberlizard.co.uk
cyberlizard
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
cyberlizard

PostSubject: Re: week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan   week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan EmptyWed Oct 24, 2007 1:36 am

when the L-rd appeared to Abraham, Abraham showed excellent character traits immediately. Traits we would do well to emulate to any passing stranger.

v2. he ran to the L-rd

v4. he offered water to cleanse his feet, and shade from the heat of the day

v6-8 he fed them

v10 - bless them and make them a promise

in the first 15 verses, we can see the Abraham was hospitable to strangers passing by, and went out of his way to provide food and rest (the same things as Yeshua provides to people who follow - he is both our sabbath fulfilment and bread of life which came down from heaven).

He holds out blessing to us and we can either choose the route of Abraham and trust (faith) or we can choose the route of Sarah and mock (though she soon came around).

more to come...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cyberlizard.co.uk
Psalms_119:105
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan   week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan EmptySat Oct 27, 2007 10:34 am

Just the name of this parsha is very telling.

He appeared! G-d appeared? He made himself visable??? This is the first time this word is used in the bible. The word ra'ah comes way before this chapter but used in this sense as appeared this is the first. It is also the same word that is used at creation, 'G-d saw that it was good'. Seeing, being revealed. In the context of the parsha we know that it means that Abraham physically saw him, not just spiritually perceived his existence. He appeared as a man. In Jewish thought this is called the metatron, in Christian thought a theophany.

Some don't think Abraham recognized him, but I think he did, else why would he say, "If I have found favor in your sight, please don't leave your servant'? There is hospitality in the middle East but this is more than that. I think we at one time or another have cried out to G-d and realizing who and what he is to us, beg him to never leave us. And Yeshua tells us that he will never leave us or forsake us. Perhaps he was thinking back to that time when he visited father Abraham and he begged him not to leave him Yeshua tells us that Abraham rejoiced to see his day, and he saw it and was glad.
Back to top Go down
http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
zaksmummy

PostSubject: Re: week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan   week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan EmptySat Nov 24, 2007 1:12 am

Why were there three men? Why is it that Abraham saw Adonai when Moses only saw the glory of his back?

Is it becasue it was Yeshua? I was thinking about this passage a few days ago, even before reading this and thinking, I might do a study to find out how many times God was seen in physical form before the birth of Yeshua.

I'll let ya know when I've done it, may take some time!!

Catrin xx
Back to top Go down
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

PostSubject: Re: week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan   week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan EmptySat Nov 24, 2007 9:53 am

Many call this a theophany, which means a visible sighting of G-d, but in a flesh or visible form. What Moshe saw was different. I believe that his description of seeing his 'back' was not in the sense that Moshe saw the backside of a person, but that what he saw was like the back of a person.

Think about how you see people, from the back, they are safe to look at, you aren't being seen by them for one thing, you are seeing what they don't even see truly themselves ( not without a mirror ) and also all viable parts are located on the front.

Now 'face' them, you see now if they are male or female ( you can't always tell this from the back), you can judge their age, and the most important thing is you can see their face, which contains the eyes through which you can see into their soul.

G-d said, if you see my face, you will die. ( Exodus 33) That is because therein lies all the power, just like in a person in his face, in his eyes lies his.

As a child we do things behind our mothers or fathers, back, no? Smile

Moshe was hidden from seeing all of him, he was only allowed to look once he had 'passed by' and only saw his back, saw him leaving, not coming towards him.

What Abraham saw was G-d in a human form, one that could walk, and talk and eat with him in the plain of Mamre.

The other times would be when Jacob wrestled with a 'man', and when Joshua came upon the man with the sword who told him he was the commander of G-ds army. Joshua worshiped him and was not told not to as others that are angels would have. ( Joshua 5:13)

Another time would be in Persia when in the court of Nebuchadnezzar the three scribes with Daniel were thrown into the fiery furnace for not bowing down to the golden image , the fourth one was proclaimed by Nebuchadnezzar himself to look like the son of G-d.
Back to top Go down
http://verypeculiarpeople.forumotion.com/portal.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan   week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan Empty

Back to top Go down

week to 27 october, 15 Cheshvan
Page 1 of 1